Friday, July 30, 2010

Soap Box Friday

Alright guys, I need just a moment to climb up on my soap box... I knew that when I started this blog that everything would find it's way on here. Things that I love, wonderful experiences, moments that I'm sad and now finally times when I'm annoyed. Today is an annoyed day...

Take a moment and ponder this:
"Honor your Father and your Mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

OK, have you thought about it? Probably something that you've heard for as long as you can remember, right? I feel like that was probably one of the first things that I learned in the little country church that I grew up in. Honor your Father and your Mother. Simple stuff. Notice that there aren't any limits on that. Not honor them when you feel like it, or until you reach a certain age, or only if they're taking care of themselves and not interfering in your life too much. Nope none of that, only Honor your Mother and your Father.

This is OLD TESTAMENT stuff, meaning that from the VERY BEGINNING this is something that our Heavenly Father wanted. And it's something that Jesus backed up in the New Testament, so that covers us all right? I would think so. So now the annoyed part, Isn't it amazing how as we get older people seem to forget this simple commandment?

My hope is that I continually honor my parents, that I make them proud. I hope that when the time comes I take care of them like they did me when I was younger; that I never begrudge them the things that they need if it's in my power to provide for them and to do it with a joyful heart. It breaks my heart that at this very moment, I am aware of a specific situation in which a family is suffering because the children are not honoring their parents. In a time when a father needs support and help the children are being selfish and it would seem only thinking of themselves. One day when they don't have him here with them on this earth, don't have him where they can see him, talk to him, or touch him, I worry that the decisions that they are making now will haunt them. Parents aren't prefect, but God calls us to honor our parents none the less. Alright, stepping off my box now... Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and I promise the next things I blog will be something a little lighter!



3 comments:

  1. Meg,
    I have no idea what situation you are referring to, but I absolutely agree with you. It is a hope of mine to honor my mother, although I struggle with it. I only have one parent to honor in this life, and I don't always do that. I am glad that you wrote this. It is a reminder to me to do better. You are right about the fact that when they are gone, you have deep regrets. There are so many things I would have done differently if I could just go back. But I can't.
    You are an awesome woman, and you were an awesome girl when we were growing up. God Bless you! - Jessica steadman Osborn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen examples of this, where you say they are not honoring them. It is very sad to see kids acting selfish, but at least they came around and it is so much better now.

    I do hope that I honor my parents and that my children honor us as well. Great words!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Meg....I DO know what you are talking about and I appreciate your comments...I, if anyone, knows what it is like to not have a parent in my life and you can be sure that now that I have him (and many more :) ) back, I will appreciate him as much as I possibly can!!!
    Again, Thank you!

    Christine <3

    ReplyDelete